Sunday, February 13, 2011

Traveling to Levelock

It took 2 small planes with 3 stops but I finally arrived in Levelock Alaska!  Our group arrived at Illiamna airport at 1130am to drop off our luggage.  After weighing the luggage and totes we still had to return our rental vehicle.  When we finally made it back to the airport we only had about 12 minutes until take-off.  We piled into a 9 seater plane with our captain and prepared for take-off.

Our first plane


The first flight took about 45 minutes.   We landed in Newhalen, where all but 3 of the passengers were getting off the plane.  We then took a small 4 seater plane for our final 2 stops.

This is how crowded our second plane was.   The other girl and I were literally right behind these 2.  The guy on the left is our pilot Tim.

The next leg was only about 10 minutes long.  A hop, skip and a jump to Nondoltan.  This were the other 2 passengers were staying.  It was then just myself and Tim to fly to Levelock!

This flight took about 45 minutes, Levelock was about 80 miles away.  At this point I was pretty comfortable because I had the backseat to myself and actually closed my eyes for a little while.  Before I knew it we were landing in Levelock and I couldn't be more excited.

Landing in Levelock!

One of the teachers from the school and 2 itinerant teachers, who had just arrived themselves, were there to great me and help me transport my stuff to my apartment.  We managed to pack everything in the back of the pickup truck and then cram in so we could drive back to the school and apartments.  This was about a 5 minute drive or maybe a little longer since the road was solid ice.  We made it with no problems and began to unload into my new apartment!


No comments:

Post a Comment