Friday, February 11, 2011

Starting my adventure!

Wow!  It takes a lot of time and patience to get to Alaska!  It took me 13 hours, 3 planes and a ton of patience.  My first flight left State College at 12:30pm but first I had a send off brunch with my family.  The first flight only took about an hour and it was very smooth.  I sat next to a gentleman who slept most of the time but at least I had a window seat!  When we arrived in Detriot there was about 30 minutes for Jordan and I to grab a sandwich before we started the 5 hour flight to Seattle.  Again I received a window seat but this time it was not as nice of a gift.  Jordan sat on the aisle and there was an 8th grade girl between us.  This meant I only got out of my seat once to use the restroom.  Also we sat on the runway for an extra 30 minutes before taking off.  I was going insane sitting for 5 hours because I can't even sit still and watch tv for an hour, I have to get up and move.  When we arrived in Seattle I was desperate to get up!  Since we were late from sitting on the runway and then we had to wait for everyone to get off in front of us (being in the back of the plane) plus adding a short layover, we had to run to make our connecting flight to Anchorage.  We had to take several escalators and 3 different trains to get to the gate we were leaving from.  When we arrived our flight was boarding.  Luckily we were still waiting on a few other connecting flights so we weren't last.  This did not help my need to move even after running across the airport, since I had to sit right back down.  Luckily this time I had an aisle seat so there was no disturbing anyone to stretch my legs or use the restroom.  And since it was dark there was no scenery to see out the window.  I sat next to a nice native couple who were very interested in the fact that I was coming out here to teach.  They were just coming home from a vacation in Vegas which I thought was awesome.  I even managed to enjoy a good hot burger for dinner.   Being able to strech my legs made this 3 hour flight seem much shorter.  We finally landed in Anchorage at 9pm local time but that is 1am PA time but we still had to claim our luggage.  Of course our bags were some the last up the chute.  After meeting the teacher who was picking us up we made our way back to our rental house which is awesome!  We each have our own room and a large living room which will be great for packing our food supplies.

We have now done 98% of our shopping.  I feel like I bought a lot of food but I know that I won't be buying any for 2 months so I need to remember that.  I am soo excited to be here and I am having the time of my life!  Keep posted for more updates!

                                             Boarding in State College

No comments:

Post a Comment